VIDEO OF BOKO HARAM’S MEMBERS’ SUMMARY KILLING RELEASED

0
2600

The Amnesty International has released a video showing gruesome murder of suspected members of Boko Haram by the Nigerian Army.

In the video released yesterday, the military is recorded on camera molesting civilians who are suspected to have links with the dreaded Islamic sect. boko haram1

In one part of the video, detainees are seen having their throats slit one by one and dumped in mass graves by men who appear to be members of the Nigerian military and the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF)

In one horrific video, a Boko Haram suspect is pulled from a truck and held down while a man in military uniform slices his neck open with a combat knife, hurling his body into a pit.

The scene is repeated with another suspect on the same bloodied patch at the edge of the grave
Detainees are kept to one side while graves are dug before the pit is shown half-full of bloodied bodies.

boko haram 2The video also shows images of men being pulled off the back of trucks and beaten by soldiers and allied civilian militias.

Amnesty said the killings occurred shortly after Boko Haram’s attack on a detention centre in Giwa Barracks, in the northeastern city of Maiduguri, on March 14.

However, the Defence spokesman Major-General Chris Olukolade has reacted to the video.
He said: ‘The military authorities view these grave allegations very seriously.

‘Much as the scenes depicted in this video are alien to our operations and doctrines, it has to be investigated to ensure that such practices have not crept, surreptitiously, into the system.’

He added that such behaviour would be counter to the training Nigerian troops are given.
‘That level of barbarism and impunity has no place in the Nigerian military. Respect for the sanctity of life is always boldly emphasized in our doctrinal training,’ he said.

The footage comes a week after Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau released a video of his fighters beheading a Nigerian soldier

Amnesty’s report also shows the aftermath of a Boko Haram attack on a village that the rights group said had killed 100 people.

Amnesty said 4,000 people had been killed in the conflict this year.boko haram3

A military operation since May last year has aimed to crush the rebels. But they have proved resilient and have hit back in attacks that have left hundreds dead, including civilians.

Amnesty International’s secretary general Salil Shetty said: ‘This shocking new evidence is further proof of the appalling crimes being committed with abandon by all sides in the conflict … what does it say when members of the military carry out such unspeakable acts and capture the images on film?

“Numerous testimonies we have gathered suggest that extrajudicial executions are, in fact, regularly carried out by the Nigerian military.”

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here