US-based businessman dupes couple N7m

US-based businessman dupes couple N7m

A US-based businessman, George Uzoukwu, has been arrested for allegedly duping a couple N7m in a phony deal.

George, 31, was accused of obtaining N7m from a couple under false pretence on one of his visits to Lagos. The suspect lives at No. 22 Ogunlana Street, Aguda, Surulere, and was said to have deceived Mr. and Mrs. Joachim Ezirim, to invest N7m in a bogus joint venture business he claimed to have interest in.

Read also: APC Senatorial aspirant dupes PDP Chieftain N250m in currency counterfeiting scam

Subsequently, the Imo State-born businessman was said to have sneaked out of Nigeria and returned to his base. His victims went in search of him but to no avail until recently when he sneaked into the country to sell all his property and was about returning to the US.

Following George’s arrest, he was on Tuesday arraigned before ‎Mrs. Abimbola Komolafe of the Lagos Magistrates’ Court in Igbosere, on a three-count charge of conspiracy, obtaining by false pretence, conversion and issuance of dud cheques.

The prosecutor, Inspector Abass Abayomi told the court that George and others at large conspired to commit the alleged offences sometime between 2011 and 2014 at No. 6, Bamgbose Street, Lagos Island.
Inspector Abayomi stated that the accused “obtained the sum of N7m from the couple under false pretences. He lied to them about forming a joint venture business with him but converted same to his personal use.

“George issued post-dated FCMB cheques No. 03002064 and 03002066 in the sum of N1 million and N2.5 million to Joachim Ezirim for the refund of the money invested in the business, knowing full well that there was no money in the account and the cheques were rejected on presentation,” the prosecutor said.

Continuing, “The offences were punishable under Sections 409, 312 and 319 (b) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.”

However, denying the charge, George’s lawyer, Chief M. C. Ikwunoh, urged the court to grant him bail, a request the prosecutor opposed on the grounds that the defendant had already concluded plans to leave Nigeria.

At the end, the Magistrate Komolafe granted the defendant N5 million bail with two sureties in the like sum, and adjourned the case till September 27, for mention.

Related Articles

Missing Chibok girls: 19 are dead, Chairman Parents Association

The Chairman of missing Chibok Girls parents association, Mr. Yakubu Nkeki, has disclosed that 19 out of more than 200


All Progressive Congress Kogi State governorship candidate in the inconclusive election held on Saturday, Prince Abubakar Audu, died suddenly on

Uduaghan Swears-In Newly Elected Council Chairmen

Delta State Governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan has sworn in 23 newly elected local government chairmen in the state, urging them


Other Interesting Posts

Foreign rice consumption banned in Ebonyi
The Ebonyi State Government has banned consumption of foreign rice at government's circle. Gov. David Umahi announced the ban during a tour of...
I got pregnant at 16, became millionaire at 17, Actress Hilda Dokubo reveals
Actress Hilda Dokubo has revealed that she was wayward while growing up and got pregnant at the age of 16. Hilda made this known recently whil...
13 LASU Staff sacked for stealing, forgery, fraud
Thirteen staff of Lagos State University (LASU) has been sacked for various crimes. Their dismissal was announced in statement institution rel...
powered by RelatedPosts