A soldier, Mr. Jacob Ikenchukwu Obuteh, five of his children and grandchildren as well as a young man believed to be his daughter’s boyfriend have died of generator exhaust fumes at Agbor in Delta State.
The seven deceased whose bodies were found in a fume filled house on Tuesday morning were said to have attended a church service last Sunday to cap activities marking the first anniversary of the death of the mother of one of the daughters of the retired military officer in Lagos.
Sources said in the evening of last Sunday, the family switched on their new generating set and that was the last time people in the areas saw them.
On Tuesday, when stench started to ooze out from the bungalow, neigbhours became suspicious and decided to force one of the windows open only to find decomposing bodies.
Following the discovery, other members of the extended family contacted the police who eventually forced the door open.
When police arrived, it was discovered that the entrance into the bungalow and exit door were locked from behind.
“Five decomposing bodies were found in one of the rooms while the remaining two were found in another room with the generator on the corridor inside the house, having its ignition on but its fuel tank empty,” the family source explained.
When contacted on Thursday, the state police public relations officer, ASP Lucky Uyabeme, confirmed the story.