Obasanjo denies reports he warned Buhari against seeking re-election

0
8
OrijoReporter.com, obasanjo and buhari

Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has denied reports that he warned President Muhammadu Buhari against seeking re-election in 2019.

Read also: Obasanjo’s in-law, Kenny Martins, wants amnesty for corrupt politicians

Earlier, Obasanjo’s former Chief Press Secretary (CPS), Alex Nwokedi, according to report on an online news medium said the ex-president had warned President Buhari against launching bid for second term as president.

Reacting to the report, Obasanjo in a statement released on Sunday in Abeokuta by his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, disclaimed the report, adding that in the last three years there had been no communication between him and Nwokedi.

The ex-president said he was in no position to deny any Nigerian his or her prerogative right to vote or be voted for.

The statement reads: “My belief is that democracy allowed for anybody including President Buhari for that matter to contest any election and it is the prerogative rights of Nigerians to vote or not to vote for them.

“I have not communicated with Alex in the last three years, so how could a story be credited to me, when I did not authorize such or communicate with him in the last three years?

“Not even me, can advise my children not to seek for elective post. It is part of freedom of democracy. I condemn in the most highest manner the story and those behind it. And for those behind it, they are simply enemies of democracy and freedom of expression.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here