A Nigerian-born doctor was yesterday in the UK convicted for fraud just as it emerged that he was responsible for the death of a newborn baby four years ago.
Gynaecologist Anthony Madu(pictured), , who graduated from University of Calabar in 1992, was convicted of six counts of fraud on Friday after a jury was told he pocketed up to £120,000 as a locum in England while he was claiming he was too sick to work at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff.
Walesonline reports that Madu made ‘tens of thousands of pounds’ while working for Sandwell General Hospital in Birmingham as well as Scarborough General Hospital and The Royal Oldham Hospital in Greater Manchester, the jury heard.
Prosecutor Christian Jowett said: ‘He was legally obliged to tell his employers about his work but he did not do so.
‘He was also legally obliged to tell two locum agencies that he was on extended leave and had been granted sickness leave.
‘But he continued to work and receive payment from both Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and his work in England.
‘This was a very costly business for the NHS and very lucrative for Dr Madu – that’s why he did it. Madu had been irresponsible as well as dishonest.’
The prosecution said the total cost to the Welsh NHS for covering his absence was £49,000 and Madu received more than £100,000 for working as a locum and £29,000 in sick pay.
The 45-year-old was convicted of failing to declare to Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (CVUHB) he had taken secondary employment, that he had failed to tell two different agencies, Medacs and JCJ, he had been signed off sick and that he did not declare to either agency he had been suspended.
He was convicted of six counts of fraud and was remanded in custody until he can be sentenced next month.
Madu was given the specialist registrar obstetrics gynaecology post at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, in August 2009.
From January 2010, he then submitted sick notes on three different occasions, saying he could not work because of stress.
Remanding Madu in custody at Cardiff Crown Court, Judge David Wynn Morgan said: ‘It may well be a tragedy has been avoided by the timely actions by the health board.’ Madu will be sentenced on November 28
It has now emerged that Madu, now 45, was taken on by the Cardiff and Vale health board in August 2009 just weeks after he was involved in the care of a first-time mum whose baby Mikhael was born unresponsive and died 11 days later.
An inquest into baby Mikhael Morales was not held until October 2012 when a coroner ruled that his death was caused by his mother Sheryl Morales being given too much of a drug during her labour at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
Madu, a locum doctor on duty at the Royal Bolton at the time, had said he could not remember signing the prescription for the drug – but investigators said the signature was definitely his.
At the hearing, Assistant coroner Kevin McLaughlin singled Madu out for criticism saying he was an “unimpressive witness” and “largely unreliable”.
He said that the midwives on duty at the time had been trying to do their jobs to the best of their ability.
A police investigation was carried out but no charges brought and the Bolton hospital apologised to parents Sheryl and Leonard Morales, who have since moved to the Phillipines.
Walesonline also revealed that Madu is currently suspended by the General Medical Council, which has been engaged in a long-running legal battle with him.
High court papers show that the HMC has accused him of misrepresenting his postgraduate training record, behaving inappropriately to colleagues and patients, working in medicine in breach of previously imposed restrictions and failing to co-operate with investigations.