Man Receives First Penis Transplant

Man Receives First Penis Transplant

A 64-year-old man, Thomas Manning, who is suffering from cancer of the penis, has made history after he became the first person to receive a penis transplant in the United States, Massachusetts General Hospital announced on Monday.

The penile cancer sufferer underwent the 15-hour transplant operation, called a genitourinary vascularized composite allograft (GUVCA) transplant, earlier this month.

“Our courageous patient, Thomas Manning, continues to do well, and we are optimistic about this outcome and future,” said Dr. Curtis Cetrulo, who helped lead the surgical team along with Dr. Dicken Ko, at a press conference on Monday.

According to American online news medium, CBS Boston, Cetrulo said that due to penile cancer most of Manning’s organ had been removed during a procedure in 2012 known as a penile penectomy.

“He’s doing well so far,” Cetrulo said. “I just spoke to him this morning, he’s up and about and out of bed.”

The replacement came from a deceased donor through the New England Organ Bank.

Woman born without a vagina reveals her hopes for a large family after being transplanted with one grown in a laboratory

“The surgical part, we feel, has been successful,” said Cetrulo. “But this is an allograph, it’s from an unrelated individual, and that requires immunosuppression for life, basically, until we can conquer that problem with immunologic tolerance research.”

The hospital said the three purposes of the procedure were to “reconstruct external genitalia to a more natural appearance, re-establish urinary function, and potentially achieve sexual function.”

Cancer of the penis or penile cancer is an uncommon cancer, and is most often diagnosed in men between the ages of 50 and 70.


Tags assigned to this article:
first penis transplant

Related Articles

Richard Branson survives horrific bike accident

Virgin Atlantic chairman Richard Branson has revealed how he cheated death in high-speed bike crash in which he smashed his

World’s Best Chef Committed Suicide Because He Was Duped Out of £1million

The ‘world’s best chef’, Benoit Violier, who was found dead in his home last week, committed suicide because he was

WOMAN ACCUSED OF BREAKING INTO A MAN’S HOUSE & RAPED HIM WHILE HE WAS ASLEEP

An odd news, a 26-year-old American woman, Chantae Gilman is facing rape charges after a man alleged he woke up


x

Related Posts

Magu promises to end corruption in 12-month's time
Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, Ibrahim Magu, has promised to end corruption in Nigeria in the next 12 mont...
FG promises Teachers mouth-watering salaries
The Federal Government has promised to make teachers the highest salary earners in Nigeria, saying the plan would help to attract the best to the...
Obasanjo reveals he once used gun to chase a soldier
Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed that he once prevented a Nigerian soldier from raping a pro-Biafra during the civil war. ...
powered by RelatedPosts