A man called Salim Adebayo (pictured with his wife) has died of food poisoning while doctors are battling to save the lives of his wife, three children and a relative who ate the allegedly poisonous meal.
The incident happened Tuesday at Osere Community in Matogun, a suburb of Ogun State, western Nigeria.
According to PM News it was discovered that the family of six did not wake up from sleep on Wednesday after they allegedly ate some poisonous meals before going to bed on Tuesday night.
Elder brother to the deceased, Hasimi Hamsat, said that Waheed, one of his younger brothers, visited them from the village on Tuesday to see a relative that was sick and slept with Adebayo and his family and was to go back Wednesday, before the incident happened.
Explaining further, Hamsat said that at about 4:30a.m. he called Adebayo on phone to find out the exact time he will leave but there was no response.
He said he also called both the wife and Waheed and there was no response either before he went to pray.
Hamsat said after he had finished praying, he decided to go and find out what was going on in his brother’s house but could not find anybody as the doors were still locked.
“I asked one of the neighbours if he had seen my brother and he said he had not seen him. When I went to the backyard I saw his motorcycle. I then called all their lines again and all their phones were ringing inside the room. That was when I suspected that something had gone wrong.
“I decided to tear the net of the window and I saw the youngest child gasping for breath. So, I raised an alarm for people to come and help me. Before we got inside Salim was already dead. We then rushed others to Happiness Maternity Hospital where they are receiving threatment.’’
The doctor who is attending to the five patients said he is treating them for food poisoning, adding that two of the children and Waheed had some marks on their body like someone who was flogged.