A 35 year-old medicine seller has been accused of setting his wife of twelve years ablaze for giving birth to only female children.
The suspect, Paul Mkpuke is from Onuojgon Alike Ikwo in Ikwo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.
The wife, Monica (pictured badly burnt) was erroneously held responsible by Paul for the couple’s inability to have a male child, and he contrived a plan to kill her, so as to pave the way for him to marry a new wife.
Having earlier fought her, and relocated her to her parents’ home, he sent some hoodlums to kill her.
Ebonyi State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Chris Anyanwu who confirmed the incident, said Paul hired some hoodlums and laid ambush for Monica at night waiting for her to come out to ease herself and when she did, three men rushed and grabbed her while one of them slapped her repeatedly before forcing her onto a standby motorcycle.
The police spokesman said that when they got to a particular bridge, Monica was brought down from the motorcycle and her wrapper was removed and used to blindfold her. Subsequently, they poured fuel on her and set her ablaze.
The PPRO noted when the hoodlums were convinced she had been severely burnt and may not survive, they abandoned her but after some time, Monica regained little strength and rolled into a nearby pond and subsequently struggled her way into an uncompleted building to hide because she was naked until a farmer discovered her.
Monica was later rushed to Federal Teaching Hospital Abakaliki where she underwent surgery and now convalescing.
Monica’s younger brother, Sunday Nwigbo who was with her at the hospital narrated her ordeal in her husband’s household where she had spent 12 years.
He said the man impregnated his sister when she was in secondary school at Ikwo and continued living with her, adding that Mkpuke had not even paid her bride price but often threatened to kill her whenever the issue was raised and for not delivering a male child.
Nwigbo further revealed that Mkpuke had earlier sent his sister packing in March 2014 declaring that he was fed-up with her and the case was reported to the Family Law Centre of the wife of the governor for intervention.
The PPRO said the suspect had been charged to court for prosecution.