The All Progressive Congress in Lagos State has accused the People Democratic Party(PDP) and security agencies of destroying the campaign billboards, and posters of its candidates in the state.
At a press briefing held last Friday at the APC secretariat in Lagos, the State Publicity Secretary, Joe Igbokwe, said the party was saddened by the development.
The full text and pictures of the alleged perpetration of mayhem by PDP:
Gentlemen of the press,
I called this emergency press conference to bring to your attention the orchestrated and quite provocative vandalisation of APC posters, billboards and banners all over Lagos by thugs and hoodlums sponsored by the PDP. These thugs are masquerading as members of the illegal Federal Task Force in Lagos and have thrown decorum to the dogs by the way and manner they are pulling down the posters and billboards of our candidates all over Lagos, even in Lagos State roads.
2. you will recall that ever since the State Commissioner of Police made an intervention on this matter that is squarely within the jurisdiction of LASSAA, we have had cause to raise alarm that PDP was inciting and inviting a war in Lagos by the reckless way and manner they have been destroying APC banners, posters and billboards all over Lagos.
3. We have made appropriate reports to the Lagos State Police Command over this and they have strangely refused to act. Today, the thugs went on rampage through Gbagada, Third Mainlaind Bridge, Osborne and the Island, pulling down APC posters, billboards and banners and replacing same with PDP’s. We just got a report that about 50 thugs and hoodlums working for Mr. Jimi Agbaje are currently on Osborne, with dangerous weapons and removing the posters of our governorship candidate, Mr. Akin Ambode and our presidential candidate, Gen. MuhammaduBuhari. We had expected the police to at least, pretend to be unbiased and stop this brigandage but alas, they have looked sideways and pretend as if nothing is amiss.
4. On Wednesday, 4th of February, the PDP mobilized its members and thugs and held road users and traffic on Ikorodu Road for eight hours on the pretext of having a rally and in the process, they targeted all APC posters, billboards and posters on the road for destruction and removal. We are yet to see any police action against such act of recklessness and rascality yet this was the same police that threatened to arrest LASSAA officials for regulating indiscriminate defacement of Lagos with posters and handbills.
5. In many parts of Lagos, there have been widespread reports of such callous acts of electoral violence targeted against the posters of APC and its candidates and even on Lagos State road. We have been making this known to law enforcement agencies and the world while the acts continue to increase and PDP annoyingly continue to poke hands into our eyes in an open invitation to confrontation.
6. We know the game plan of a party that sees an end to its rule and will do everything to pull down the house on everybody. This has been thus far, the restraining force we have leveraged to rein in our agitated members who have barely tolerated this provocation. It is clear that the PDP thinks it can overwhelm Lagos with brute force and state sponsored criminality and if it is so sure that it will win Lagos, as it has been lousily boasting, why is it precipitating a war in Lagos? Does it also have the capacity to manage the war in the unlikely event that it wins a state where it is not welcome? We want to state that our members are running out of patience in this continued provocation. While we are trying our utmost best to restrain our members from being drawn into any war that will undermine our well oiled wheel of change, we warn that there is a limit to tolerance and that our members may be forced to react even if to defend themselves and their interests. We warn that the PDP should not mistake our resolve to keep the peace as a necessary condition for the long desired change Nigerians are longing for, as a sign of submission and docility. We warn that we may be forced to react if pushed to the wall and the perpetrators of this ongoing deliberate brigandage will be held responsible for this.
7. We call on the Lagos State Police Commissioner and his command to act quickly and decisively to stop this brigandage for we cannot continue to complain while the PDP is deliberately allowed to breach the security and peace of Lagos. We warn that Lagosians will not tolerate this criminality any longer. We leave this as a last warning,
Thanks for your time.