The death of Miss Happiness Emehara on May 31, 2017, in Hotel Burj Li at Okwuta Ibeku, in Abia State has been surrounded by controversy.
The deceased, who worked as a waiter in the hotel, according to the hotel management was electrocuted in the bathroom while bathing.
A colleague of the deceased, Favour Owom corroborated the management.
Owom said she had gone to give Miss Emehara toothpaste when she found her lifeless body on the floor.
She said, “She asked me to help her with tooth paste. And when I entered the room, I saw Happ
iness lying on the floor, holding the shower handle. So, I started shouting and our colleagues rushed and carried her to the hospital, where they said she was dead.”
But Miss Emehara’s family, who hailed from Ohokobe Mbaocha Ndume, Ibeku, in Umuahia North Local Government area of Abia State, disagreed on the cause of her death saying the management of the hotel was lying.
The family vowed to pursue the case to a logical conclusion.
Subsequently, they staged a protest at the hotel and reported the incident to Zone 9 Police Command in Abia State.
“We are demanding explanation on the cause of the death of our daughter, Happiness Emehara, in the hotel. We don’t believe that she was electrocuted,” one of them said during the protest at the hotel.
In a post by one Chijindu Chinedu on Facebook, he faulted the hotel’s claim.
Chinedu wrote, “Miss Happiness Emehara death is begging for Answer. How can they said she died while bathing with shower handle in Burji li Hotel and she got electrocuted with bruises on her body. I want to ask, when you want to bath in a hotel or your house, the cloth you want to wear after bathing, u keep it on wetted floor of the house. Please na so u na dey do? Any attempt by anybody to doctor the autopsy result of the young girl, will be consumed by OFFOR Ibeku.”