FIFA on Monday said Nigeria will no longer be banned as earlier threatened after the federal government wrote the world football governing body validating the Amaju Pinnick led-board.
FIFA, in a terse statement, titled: “Update concerning the situation of the Nigeria Football Federation”, said it (FIFA) has received confirmations that the leadership of the NFF has been given back to President Amaju Melvin Pinnick and General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi.
“Following the decision of the Bureau of the FIFA Council of 13 August 2018 concerning the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), FIFA received confirmations that the legitimate leadership of the NFF under President Amaju Melvin Pinnick and General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi has been given back effective control of the NFF and its offices.
“In view of these circumstances, FIFA deems that the conditions set by the decision of the Bureau of the FIFA Council have now been met and consequently the suspension of the NFF will not take effect.
“FIFA will continue to closely monitor the situation in order to ensure that FIFA’s rules and regulations are fully adhered to,” the statement said.
The Federal Government has announced its recognition of the Amaju Pinnick-led executive as the authentic leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
Laolu Akande, Special Assistant to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo made the announcement on his official Twitter handle yesterday.
The tweet which was sent at 11.38 a.m., few minutes before the 12 p.m. deadline given by FIFA for the resolution of the leadership tussle in the NFF, said the government had already informed FIFA of the decision.
“The FG has already conveyed to FIFA its firm position recognizing Amaju Pinnick-led NFF as the current & only NFF Exco.
“Govt will also continue to work with all relevant stakeholders involved to resolve dispute in a timely manner. FG is upholding NFF treaty obligations to FIFA,” Akande tweeted.