A father whose two daughters were among the abducted Chibok students has died, days after finding out that his girls were not in the Boko Haram video released last week.
Mr. Mutai Hona fell ill when he could not see his two daughters in the video, according to his family.
He never recovered since then, and died on Sunday in Chibok, Borno State, a family member, James Yama told journalists in Maiduguri.
About 270 schoolgirls were taken on April 14 from the Government Secondary School Chibok by Boko Haram gunmen.
Some 53 of them escaped and returned home in the days after their abduction, but more than 200 others are still in captivity. Last week, Boko Haram released a video showing about 130 of the girls in an unidentified location.
The video was reviewed by parents and other students of the school.
Mr Hona’s relations said he was struck by hypertension when he could not see his two daughters in the clip.
“Since he could not identify any of his two daughters in the video released by Boko Haram, he developed hypertension which eventually killed him on Sunday,” James Yama narrated.
The late Hona was buried on Monday, and is survived by two wives and eight children.
It would be recalled that soon after the release of the video of the abducted schoolgirls, the footage was shown to the parents by the Borno State government.
Those who identified their daughters said they were happy that they were still alive.
But some of the parents were disappointed because they could not see their daughters.
This was the first time a parent of the missing Chibok girls was reported dead following the seizure of the schoolgirls.
But in the wake of the abduction, one other male parent was said to have taken to heavy drinking. His relations tried in vain to comfort him. One woman, whose daughter was among the abducted girls, also reportedly developed some mental condition.