Eko Electricity Distribution Company, owner of the live wire that killed late Oluchi Anekwe, the 300-level student of Accounting in the University of Lagos, who died after she stepped on live wire in the campus in September 2015, has paid the deceased’s family N45m in compensation for the irreparable loss.
The deceased’s sister, who was in her company when the incident happened, and suffered electric shock is said to be currently abroad on the electricity distribution company’s bill receiving medical treatment.
Recounting the heartbreaking story of his daughter’s death in an interview prior to her burial, her bereaved father, Chief Basil Anekwe at his Okoto, Lagos residence said: “My driver who was supposed to be on his way to Togo had come to inform me in office that Oluchi was sick.
“I asked him what kind of sickness it was that needed my presence? I even asked if I should send money for treatment instead, but he insisted on driving me to the hospital in Lagos; he never spoke a word as he drove me to Lagos.
“He took me to my house and I asked him if that was where Oluchi was. On seeing members of my family, including my brother-in-law in the house, I asked them where Oluchi was and they broke the bombshell that she had been electrocuted.
“I asked why everyone was in the house and not caring for her in the hospital. Immediately I called my barrister and he agreed to accompany to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, to see my daughter but instead of going to the emergency unit, he and the doctor led me to the morgue .
“When I asked why, nobody said a word to me. Rather, they showed me my daughter’s dead body . At that moment, I wanted God’s miracle to happen. Her left hand was stiff on her chest. I commanded her to wake up but she refused to wake up. I even opened her eyes but they closed back again. She never breathed again. My tallest is gone without giving me a signal that she was going to die.”