These can be brought on by eating as little as two teaspoons of the festive spice. Most people know that green potatoes – and by extension, green crisps – should not be eaten but fewer know exactly why.
Potatoes turn green when they have been exposed to the sun, and the colour is due to the presence of chlorophyll, which isn’t toxic. However the colour suggests that poisonous solanine is also present, which can make humans sick or even kill them.
One green potato will likely cause you harm, but eating 25 odd-coloured potatoes could be enough to kill you. If you’ve ever swallowed a cherry pit, then don’t panic, but you’ve probably ingested cynanide.
The videos reveal that biting into a cherry pit and swallowing between one and two ground-up pits would be lethal. The video is based on scientific research and evidence.
And while the amounts listed above could kill you, they could also just make you very ill indeed. Either way, it’s not a good idea to risk it.