Court tells EFCC to advertise N449m found in abandoned Bureau de Change shop

Court tells EFCC to advertise N449m found in abandoned Bureau de Change shop

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Wednesday told the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to advertise in a national newspaper the N449,750,000 found in an abandoned Bureau de Change shop in Victoria Island just as it ordered the temporary forfeiture of the sum.

Read also: Court orders forfeiture of Ikoyi abandoned money

The order was made by Justice Rilawan Aikawa following an ex parte application taken before him by the anti-graft agency.

An investigator with the EFCC, Moses Awolusi, said in the affidavit filed before the judge that the shop numbered LS64, located on at Legico Shopping Plaza, at Victoria island, Lagos had not been opened for two years.

Awolusi said the money was found on April 7, 2017 in several “Ghana Must Go” sacks, adding that the EFCC recovered the money after investigating intelligence information received on one Mohammed Tauheed.

According to the investigator, Tauheed allegedly conspired with the owner of the abandoned shop to launder the money.

Awolusi said Tauheed had earlier been brought to the EFCC office by the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of Legico shopping Plaza, Mr. Sulaiman Daba and Alhaji Ishaq Ayandiran , respectively.

He said during the visit, Tauheed told the anti-graft agency that he received the money in cash from a serving government official, whose name was not disclosed for security reasons.

He said Tauheed, in the presence of his lawyer, later agreed to return the money to the Federal Government, which is the rightful owner of the funds strongly suspected to the proceeds of criminal activities of the unnamed serving government official.

The EFCC said it would be in the interest of justice for the court to order the temporary forfeiture of the money to the Federal Government.

After entertaining the application on Wednesday, Justice Aikawa ordered that the N449,750,000 should be temporarily forfeited to the Federal Government.

He ordered the EFCC to advertise the order in a national newspaper and gave 14 days for any interested party to appear in court to give reasons why the money should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

The judge adjourned the matter till May 19, 2017.

Name
Email *


Related Articles

EFCC re-arraigns ex-gov. Orji Uzor Kalu, others for laundering N6.7bn

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), today (Monday) re-arraigned former Abia State Governor, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, before a

Jonathan accused of sponsoring violence

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has been accused of sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers, a militant group claiming responsibility for the recent attacks

Ex-House of Reps member’s marriage dissolved as court quashes adultery allegation against wife

A Plateau State High Court sitting in Jos on Tuesday dissolved the marriage between a former member of the House


x

Related Posts

Sen. Saraki accused of being a bully
Pro-Chancellor and Chairperson of the Governing Council of Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa State, Senator Gbemisola Saraki, has come under fi...
Am ready to die - Suspended Ekiti lawmaker
Hon. Gboyega Aribisogun, a member of Ekiti State House of Assembly who was suspended for 180 legislative days said he was ready to die in his bid...
There is only one man-of-God in Nigeria - Yomi Fash Lanso
Actor Yomi Fash Lanso has hit out at Nigerian pastors saying almost all of them were men of questionable characters living large on tithes and of...
powered by RelatedPosts